Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Fairy Tale Spotlight: My Reading Habits, Part 6 (Final)

With few exceptions, the last chapter of a book tends to feel long to me. It's not because I am reading it slowly. It's more so that I am rather eager for the blasted thing to end. Even so, I am taking every iota of information in, especially here. This is the place where everything counts. Sure, it's just the resolution, but it's good to see everything play out smoothly.

The exception I mentioned earlier has to do with books that make incredibly short final chapters. I'm not talking about epilogues here. I mean final chapters that can barely be bothered to have more than seven paragraphs. It's almost as if the author was about as eager to wrap up the book as I was reading it. If that's the reason, then I think I appreciate the fellow. He understood the massive disservice he was committing to his loving readers. He knew his book was so incredibly well-written that it would trap them for months in the act of simply trying to finish his book. It's all about closure, you see.

But, whether it be for the author or for the reader, the book does need to come to an end. It needs to end. I'm so freaking tired of reading this wonderful thing, and not to mention that next book in line is all set up to take its place. I got places to be and things to do. I have a blog to write as well. You know... for the review.

Funny thing about those reviews: I don't think I've ever enjoyed writing even one of them. It's not that I am unhappy with how they are written, but the very act of writing them is rather aggravating. I also have a rule that I cannot begin the next book until I write that review. So it just ends up being a bother, one that I thoroughly intend to get over with as soon as I possibly can.

But here we are. The final page. It all ends here. All the closure. All the... You know... ending stuff. And... Um... Peace of... mind about... It's just that... Uh. Wait... Where's the ending? Is this book a part of a series? Am I not finished with the story yet? Let me check online.

...

Twelve books?! I have to read twelve books in order to learn everything?! Who does that?! I already had my next book set up! This is just... WRONG! It's immoral! It's inhuman! Isn't there some rule that says you have to tell people that?! Aren't you supposed to put "Book One" on the cover or something?! Why wouldn't they... Oh, wait. Here it is. I guess I didn't see it. Right there at the top too.

Well, it's no matter. I don't have time for such things. Maybe I will return to it later, but for now, I have another book to read! It's time to let the past go and move forward into the future! There's no looking back! It's now or never!

Actually, it might not hurt to keep reading this series for a bit longer. That first book was pretty good. I'll just read this silly old thing later.

...

I don't have a problem.

This blog was written on August 1, 2022.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. The last chapter is what brings it all together... at least we hope. The "It was all a dream" scenario is always a fear of mine. Kind of rough finding out a book is part of a series after you finish it, but if it is good it might be worth the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do you think I've been reading like 37 Oz books? Good grief!

      Delete
  2. Reading a book taxes the brain because we must imagine what we read. It fires the neurons wonderfully... but that burns us out, even if we enjoy the experience.

    As a writer, I am always eager to FINISH a book. The END is the most difficult part. Unlike every other chapter, it decides the fate of every other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it wraps it up, but hopefully in a way that's satisfying.

      Delete
  3. There are few things more satisfying than finishing a good book. Along with the sense of accomplishment, there are the memories to cherish. For that is where our personal experience resides: a source of inspiration which will remain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I hold onto a lot of the information that I got and can talk about it for a long time. I like that.

      Delete