Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Wicked [Book Review]

Holy crap! This was a long book! I feel like I've been reading it for months. Actually, I have actually been reading it for months. This would have been a lot quicker if I only read one book at a time like a normal human being.

"Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West" is a novel written by Gregory Maguire. It was published in 1995. It was actually a lot older than I thought it was. I have been hearing about the stage play for a long time now. I finally got around to reading this. In fact, the whole reason I read it at all was because I consider this the only actually popular non-canon Oz book in existence, even noting its sequels.

The reason this book is so long is because it covers the entire life of one person, that being Elphaba, a girl born with green skin. It deals with her entire childhood, her teenage years, and her adult life where she ultimately becomes the titular Wicked Witch of the West. It is a lot to take in, but it is all exceptionally fascinating. The book draws more from L. Frank Baum's work than the 1939 movie. The only thing he really takes from the film is her green skin, which is a major plot point.

I'm not really here to spoil such a good book. I won't be going much into the story itself, but I really just want to point out that the author did an exceptional job with the characters. You will love and even admire Elphaba in this story. You will care about her all the way to the end. This book is not just some sort of "dark version" of a classic. It serves to paint a more realistic depiction of what once was just a story intended for children. This is Oz for adults, and it is expertly crafted from beginning to end.

I somewhat regret that I am not saying enough here. I am really big into spoiling stories so I can talk about it freely, but I tend to get a little standoffish about that when the author is still alive and so very active as Maguire is. No, I won't be tempted. I have said enough.

"Wicked" is well-worth your time, even with it being such an insanely long book. It was never dull. It always carried you through the various parts of her life, sometimes from the perspective of her peers. It was not just about how she saw things, it was also about how people saw her. I absolutely recommend this book to anyone interested in a more adult take of the Oz series. It is a solid read that never even once offended me. Bravo.

This blog was written on June 19, 2024.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. It seems the author was an Oz fan to the extreme. He watched the movies and read the books imagining back stories beyond what he was given... so he decided to write one. The Wicked Witch of the West was probably his favorite character, especially the 1939 movie version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, undoubtedly. He definitely liked the movie version of her more. it shows.

      Delete
  2. It was a very real portrayal of a fictional character. Seeing things from her perspective makes you really feel for her. Knowing what is to come gives a sense of awful anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the best thing about this. It made you feel for someone who was a villain.

      Delete