Monday, August 26, 2024

Fairy Tale Spotlight: The Whimper of Whipped Dogs [Short Story Review]

[I spoil the main plot of the story, but nothing about the ending.]

"The Whimper of Whipped Dogs" is a short horror story written by Harlan Ellison. It was published in 1973. It is entirely inspired by the famous murder of Kitty Genovese. Apparently she was killed while tons of people watched and ultimately did nothing about it.

This story is about a woman named Beth who sees the murder. She doesn't want to get involved, as horrible as it is to see.  It focuses on her for the rest of the story as things just seem to get worse and worse for her. It's almost as if God is angry at her for her inaction.

Oh, but it isn't so much God as it is some sort of god. Like... its a god of street justice or something. I found the writing of this to be a bit unclear. Honestly, I found the story to be a little too angry and depressing. I get that what happened to Kitty was bad, but this story sounds more like narrative revenge than anything else.

It's like the city itself is sort of treating Beth like shit because of what she didn't do on the night of the murder. There is a market for stories like this. It's usually about poetic justice, but I just felt that the presentation of it just fell a bit short because of the author's unceasing anger. I can still see how some people might like this one though.

I know this is strange but I'm still going to recommend it. It's one of those times I just feel like a story is good enough but not necessarily for me. It be like that sometimes.

This blog was written on July 3, 2024.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. I know about that murder. Yes, it was especially horrible because though she was in a city full of people, she was utterly alone. She cried out for help and everyone was deaf to her. The sin of omission was spiritually worse than the murder itself. It showed why "lukewarm" offends the Lord more than does "cold against." I can understand the anger of the author. Anyone not angered by what happened is pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The real murder was someone utterly alone in a crowd. She cried out for help but all the "good" people who were "good" because they did NOTHING wrong did NOTHING to help. The author was undoubtedly outraged and rightly so. Like Jesus, Harlan Ellison spat the lukewarm out of his mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really horrible, and the author had a right to be mad.

      Delete
  3. Those who are angry with their characters tend to be frustrated with themselves. They like to imagine what they would have done differently. Still, it is easy to have expectations of others.

    ReplyDelete