Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Family Diary [Poem Review]

"Family Diary" is a poem written by Steven Pelcman. It was published in 2012. This is another thing I found in that "Down in the Dirt" magazine that I have not been enjoying. This, however, is one of the exceptions. I did like this one.

I don't normally like to review poetry. I usually don't have a reason to, as poetry tends to need to be read to get your own interpretation out of it. This poem was unusual because it was done as a diary. It told a story that isn't normally told in this kind of format.

It goes into the life of a farmer and father who works hard for a living. He reminded me of my granddad that I knew when I was a kid. He was sort of a quiet hard worker that was amusing to talk to from time to time. I guess that's why I related to it so quickly.

The poem's story does eventually get tragic, but it shows life's tragedies as things that can't always be avoided. Life also seems to go on, and we take the memories of the good and bad times with us. All true. This isn't what I had come to expect from stories in this magazine. Most of them just want to hammer you with tragedy and then leave you alone so you can properly hate life like the authors do.

This poem was written by a person who knew how to properly make peace with the hardships of life. I respect that, and I hope I will have the strength to do that when those things begin to happen to me. I do recommend this poem, although I'm not a fan of the magazine I found it in.

This blog was written on July 24, 2024.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. True-to-life tragedy tends to be hopeful whereas cynicism exaggerates our woes in stories of impossibly bad. It seems that hope rings true after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bad things are going to happen in our lives. It is how we respond to them which shows our character. Do we collapse under the stress or rise to the occasion?

    ReplyDelete