Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Mario Polzetti [Short Story Review]

Oh, thank God. A story from "Down in the Dirt" magazine that's actually decent.

"Mario Polzetti" is a short detective story written by Rod Hamon. It was published in 2012.

It is a very quickly-paced detective story about a gangster boss named Mario Polzetti who allegedly shot his wife. The detective in charge of the case, Dabrowski, is trying to prove that he did it. Everything is boiler plate detective stereotypes here, but that isn't necessarily bad. Sometimes diving into stereotypical stuff can be charming and even relaxing.

The detective reminded me a little of Columbo. He was not perfect by any means. He even came across as nervous, biting his nails and all that. I liked him. Mario the boss was a little bit on the goofy side, but I still liked him. He was definitely not a good man.

I was rather surprised to see a detective story run so quickly from beginning to end. This is a story that will begin and end before you can even blink... so don't blink. It even had a solid conclusion which I won't be spoiling today.

I think this one is worth the read, and I recommend it. Good job! It's good to see that there are at least a few decent stories in this magazine. It's been a pain for me to read through. Sorry to all those stories I bashed, but I don't pull punches on this blog.

This blog was written on July 26, 2024.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Detective stories require crafting. Interesting that the writer was able to craft the mystery and its conclusion in few words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With some types of stories, the familiarity provides a level of comfort. Your expectations serve to heighten the anticipation. This leads to an ending that is appropriate.

    ReplyDelete