Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Different Genres

As I have said before, I enjoy exploring different genres in my writing. I like to find at least one thing that I enjoy about every kind of story, and when I write it, I try my best to capitalize on that point. Here are some of the genres that I have written for in the past and what I found in it that I enjoyed:

Comedy or Madcap: These are really two different types, but I have often combined the two before. Comedy allows me to take my own sense of humor and wit and give it to the reader for their enjoyment. There is no need to always be serious, and the drama can, at times, be light. Madcap stories really do not need to ever be serious though, and are entirely intended to allow the reader to relax and not take it seriously.

Comedy is really something that works well into serious drama for moments of levity. If you go too crazy with a dark story line and never allow the reader to relax, it can really drag that person down. Adding some comedy to an otherwise dramatic tale can solve this, and it can also make the characters feel more real. I like this.

Drama: This is probably my favorite and something I, to some degree, have implemented into all my stories. I love close interactions between my characters and showing that there is a real event happening in which they have to live through. Preferably, if I am going to write a drama, it will be a serious one.

Western: Recently, I published a western called "The Untold Legend of Pecos Bill."
This was a tall tale, and I really found myself relaxed when I wrote it. For one thing, I did not have to make sure that everything I had in it was perfectly accurate. With tall tales, the storyteller is supposed to toss his own ideas into the mix and not worry too much if he goes overboard with it all. I also enjoyed the talking animals. It was really conducive to my own creativity.

Horror: Not my favorite, but because I am so big on drama, there is plenty for me to do. There are some types of horror that really drive me forward. Cthulhu Mythos is very cool with its lurking terror aspect, and I am a big fan of the way Twin Peaks did it. So, I can still do the genre justice.

Childrens: This is my chance to put in all my cute talking animals. I am just about always inspired for this. But I would like to point out that I do write it so that adults can enjoy it too. Besides, I am unsure if children really can appreciate what I write to a proper extent.

These are all I will leave you with for now. Thanks for reading my blog! If you have any comments or questions, you can post here or to my email at tooie@tooiekangaroo.com. Also, be sure to check out my author's page at Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/TKWade

No comments:

Post a Comment