Friday, June 28, 2013

My Love of Rodents

Mice, rats, squirrels, jerboas: these are just a few of the many rodents that I love. It is safe to say that most of what I have written (not published) have been about them. For the past two years, I have been working on a novel series which I call Tooth and Tail in which all the characters are rodents. It is quite possibly the most fun I have ever had writing, and I am unsure if I will ever find a true end to it.

Throughout my entire life, I have been drawn to the cute little creatures in film. One of the most inspirational, animated movies I have ever seen is one called "A Mouse and his Child." It is about two toy mice that go on this amazing quest to become self-winding. I suppose this is a clever way of saying alive if you are a toy. The movie was adapted from a book, and I really like them both equally. That story also did some amazing things concerning rats as characters.

I am sure that most everyone remembers "The Secret of NIMH." Don Bluth's adaptation of the original book, in my opinion, outdid the original story by far. I liked the book, but the movie was just better. There was a magical element added to the film that just gave power to the whole presentation. Elizabeth
 Hartman's portrayal of Mrs. Brisby was inspired. She really gave the mouse the particular timidity that she had in the book.

My favorite comic book is called "Mouse Guard," which is about a guild of mice who travel about their territory doing good deeds for the citizens. This is actually the story that inspired me to write "Tooth and Tail." I hope to have that published someday.

There are many other films and stories out there that star mice, and I read and watch them when I can. They are very inspiring to me. I guess it had to do with having something so small be so important. If you think about it, this is not always done with mice. In "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien, Bilbo Baggins is a very small and mousy individual, but even he does amazing things by the story's end. And just to be clear, I am very fond of that tale as well. There is something very endearing about that set-up.

Stay tuned to later blogs. I'm sure the subject of rodents will come up again once in a while. Be sure to comment here on the blog if yo so desire, or you can email me at tooie@tooiekangaroo.com. Thanks for reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment