Thursday, August 22, 2019

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Puck

I'm rather fond of satyrs. I write about them a lot. I like to make them out to be a happy and playful sort of race... but still with heavy inclinations towards hedonism. I recently came across an odd sort of satyr named Puck.

Now, just to be clear, I was not able to 100% identify Puck as a satyr. It just seems to be how he is often interpreted. But here is what I know:

--Puck likes to do favors for people such as cleaning house, making food, and other some-such chores.

--Puck expects great praise for these deeds, or else he will undo all the work he did and likely leave you with a worse situation than when you began.

--Puck likes to be given treats, which is a way one might negotiate him to get some chores done for you. Milk also seems to be a favorite of his.

--Puck craves attention. If you were to ignore him for more than a few minutes, he'll probably try and get it back. If you deprive him of attention for too long, he might become hurt by it. This may lead to aggression of some sort.

--Puck has a thing for friendship. He is always looking to make friends with anyone he can. This yearning for friendship is entirely self serving.

--Puck has a secret name. If you get close to him, maybe cuddle a little, he might tell you that his real name is Robin Goodfellow.

Despite being described in a number of ways, I lean towards the satyr because of certain personality quirks. His desire for attention and affection is the main aspects that led me to this conclusion. But I can't help but be positively terrified of the idea of befriending him. It just feels like I'd be signing some sort of terrible contract. Once you make that leap, there is no going back.

Puck represents a fairy creature that doesn't seem to have a home anywhere. He's a loner. He's just... out there... trying to find a place he can put himself. He comes across as a sweet and silly individual, but it is all self serving. All that he does, he does for himself. He'll never be able to assimilate to any society. You have to assimilate to him.

Here is the worst part: I think he's still out there. I don't think he looks like a satyr anymore. He's out there and still trying to make friends that he can control. Have you met him? Have you encountered little Robin Goodfellow out there... somewhere... in this big world? I'd be careful if I were you. He's not going to act in your favor. Not really. By the end of it, you'll be working for him... endlessly showering him with attention. He eats attention. And soon... he'll leave you nothing but a husk as he uses everything that you are... for his pleasure.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting. Like so many celebrities, he needs attention and praise or he feels like he doesn't really exist. That old "the fairies will die if you don't believe in them" is probably with Puck and the like in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Satyrs crave attention in the worst way. Sometimes it's cute, but there is often a darkness behind it.

      Delete
  2. I agree with your assessment, Puck certainly sounds like a satyr. Interesting that he is a drifter type, which lends to his nature. It would be wise to avoid him as he feeds on attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of people seem to relate to this guy. They lust for attention and demand praise. So, the things they do for others are really for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there is a sort of cult of personality that coincides with these creatures. I've noticed similar things with leprechauns too.

      Delete