Monday, September 28, 2020

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Monsters of Doom, Part 3

-Chaingunner-

Basically, this is a big strong dude with a chaingun. I always get just a tad nervous around them because of their rapid fire hit-scanning ability. I talked about hit-scanning before. Their attacks are based on dice rolls, which is not so bad when dealing with intermittent shots as found with the Zombiemen and the Shotgun Guys. But when hit-scanning happens rapidly, the chances of you taking a lot of damage really fast goes way up. In large groups, this monster can kill you very quickly. He's also a lot stronger than his zombie brothers.

The best way to deal with these guys is by simply using cover to your advantage. If he can't see you, he can't shoot you. Likewise if you can't see him, he can't see you. He can be dropped with a couple of well placed shotgun shots, but if they are at a distance, I recommend fighting fire with fire. Just minigun them down as accurately as you can. Your shots are always going to be more accurate as theirs. But the main thing to remember is that you can't dodge their shots at all. Cover is 100% needed. Find a good place to hide yourself and start working at them. They'll go down faster than you think. Threat Level: 5 of 10.

-Baron of Hell-

Big, scary, and reasonably tough satyrs. I really like them, but only because of that pleasant cringe I make when I run into them. And that's almost always the way you encounter them... a surprise. The Barons of Hell are, to many, considered to be mini-bosses. That's not entirely wrong. Two of them ended up being the final boss of the first episode of Doom. First time players sometimes get their butts handed to them on this encounter. They can be a bit shocking at first, but it will wear off and you will learn to love them.

Barons of Hell are red in color (that will be important for later). They throw really nasty fireballs that hurt like hell. They also have a melee attack that will mess you up. They are aggressive and cannot be stun-locked (like with the Cacodemon). You pretty much have to learn to dance and get very good at doing it.

Personally, I tend to switch to the rocket launcher whenever I see these red beasts. I haven't had too many situations where I didn't have rockets while encountering them, although there are some exceptions. It can take up to six rockets to take them down. If rocket ammo is too precious, it's time to equip the super shotgun and begin the dance of death. Dodge and shoot like your life depends on it, and of course it does. You'll whittle him down in about the same amount of shots. Six or seven. It's a tough but very rewarding fight.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with just using a combination of the two with maybe a little bit of plasma shots to get the job done faster. But personally, there is nothing quite like taking these big satyr studs down. The strange sound they make then they die is worth the effort. You'll be satisfied. Threat Level: 7 of 10.

-Hell Knight-

The Hell Knight is a weaker version of the Baron of Hell that was introduced first in Doom II. Not a bad addition either. First time you run into them, all those terrible memories of that double Baron fight will all hit you in the face, and you might panic. But don't worry: this guy is much easier.

The official Doom wiki states that the Hell Knight is tan in color. I may just be color blind, but I always see green when I see them. Either way, you won't see red, and that's good news. Totally not a problem to take these monsters out. Whip out your super shotgun, give him a good three direct hits, and he'll go down almost every time. Same thing applies to rockets. Three rockets, and he's out. Easy.

Just because the Hell Knight is easier does not make him a wasted enemy type. I actually really like these guys. Maybe even more than the Barons. The idea of it is that they look tough and attack hard, but they just can't take the stress like their older brothers can. They were working their way up to Baron but got taken down by Doom Guy before they could get their promotion. Survival of the fittest. The Hell Knight is a welcome addition to the list of enemies, and I always look forward to kicking their butts. Threat Level: 6 of 10.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!







6 comments:

  1. When I see the report of rapid-fire, I immediately panic. I immediately take cover when I glimpse the flash of the chaingun. In terms of looks, the Chaingunner is one of the most interesting of the baddies. He looks like a bald wrestler with a goatee to me. It seems his clothes are red because he's drenched in blood, but the red looks natural on him. As for the Barons of Hell and the Hell Knights: they have the most interesting death gurgle and their gruesome remains are grimly stylish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Chaingunner has snuck up on me many times. I think the developers like putting them in "monster closets" hidden behind the player a whole lot.

      Delete
  2. The Chaingunner was always a pain for me with that rapid fire, definitely a brute to be dealt with. I always thought that the Hell Knights, and Barons were a cool and scary design. Awesome tips with how to deal with these guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has their own strategy, but I'm really just giving advice based on my own experiences. My tactics usually work well for me as far as killing them efficiently and managing my ammo at the same time.

      Delete
  3. The chaingunner tends to hit unexpectedly, forcing you to find cover. It is a lot easier to deal with the hellknights than the barons, but you will usually encounter the former in higher numbers. The barons are more intimidating, but easier to spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you deal with Barons in high numbers a lot more in the later episodes of Doom 1 because the Hell Knights were not available yet.

      Delete