Monday, August 16, 2021

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Not Knowing When It Comes to Fiction

This has got to be my worst title ever. Let me please explains what it means. When I am going to see a movie or read a book, I don't like to know anything about it. That's it.

Why do I do this? Well, because there is a trend these days to oversell stuff. Movie trailers have turned into a very repetitive art form. They have to be made a certain way, which makes them as exciting as the movie themselves. I hear people telling me about these trailers and how amazing they were. I watch the trailer too and am in agreement. Then when I finally watch the film, I am left saying to myself, "Yep, that is pretty much what the trailer led me to believe." So I always came away feeling a little disappointed.

Things have happened in my life that I did not expect. For one, I ended up playing basketball with (and humiliated by) the Harlem Globetrotters back when I was in high school. This actually happened... and there was no warning about it beforehand. I wasn't even good at basketball, but I was more than happy to play with these guys. Halve the time I never even saw the ball. One time there were two balls. It was so much fun! But the best part of it was that I didn't see it coming.

The trailer for this incident would have been all about how I got to play with the Harlem Globetrotters, and by the time the movie came around, I would be ready for it. Not quite as fun, if you ask me.

All my friends love trailers. They see it as some sort of rite of passage that needs to be enacted before the watching of the movie happens. I DO see where they are coming from; I like to watch them after the film is over. I think my opinion on this is a bit subjective. I have a particular ideal in play that I want tested every time: Will the movie or book stand on its own without all the hype? I've seen a lot of trailers that built up a bad movie that ended up ruthlessly taking my money and not giving it back when I was disappointed in it. It's a double edged sword though! If I don't see the trailer, I'll still have my money taken away by a bad film. But with the latter, I felt like I didn't feel as tricked... so still somehow better.

But how do I choose which movies and books to watch and read?! How? Without trailers, I have NOTHING! Actually, there are these little things called movie descriptions. Little blurbs that tell you the basic plot of the film. I'm sorry, but you have to get me with these blurbs. I like these things and all movies still write them. And many of the films I've willingly watched, I watched them because of these blurbs. I don't feel like I had anything spoiled for me either. All I need is a concept. Leave everything else blank until the stories fulfills it on its own.

I think that's why I like books so much. Books usually don't have trailers. All I get is a little paragraph talking about what it's basic plot is. That's all I need! After that, I feel like I am going into a story without anyone holding my hand and giving me warnings and preparations for the story that is about to unfold. This is my preferred way of taking in a story. It's mine. Just mine. Once again, this blog is extremely subjective.

I don't hate watching a movie after seeing a trailer, I just like it less than I would if I knew nothing about it. I just want the film to hit me all at once. I like to put the entire responsibility on the films crew to give me a good time without relying any on a trailer. If they can do that and I end up really entertained, then they did a good job! I don't want hype; I just want a story. That's the point I am trying to make. Thanks.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. I assume a trailer shall be better than the movie it is promoting. I am surprised if the movie actually lives up to its trailer. I am especially surprised when the actual movie surpasses its promotion... unless the trailer was uninspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the trailer is just supposed to promote a film to get you to see it. But lately there has been an expectation that the trailer is actually like the movie or better to not appear disingenuous. But in doing that, they just end up spoiling it or raising expectations higher then was warranted.

      Delete
  2. This makes a lot of sense, I really would rather be surprised by the moment instead of being showed in a trailer. I loved your example of the time you played with the Harlem Globetrotters, I can visualize that happening haha. Trailers are a tool used by marketing to sell us a product and unfortunately it has been becoming more about the numbers instead of creating quality fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, i don't mind trailers at all. I just don't wanna see them before the film.

      Delete
  3. Trailers for movies that are all hype tend to give themselves away. Descriptions can also be hype pieces, as well. It really comes down to whether you prefer a fresh experience or if you would rather have an idea of what the work is about first.

    ReplyDelete