Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Fairy Tale Spotlight: The Tell-Tale Heart [Short Story Review]

"The Tell-Tale Heart" is a short story written by Edgar Allan Poe. It was first published in 1843. It was an easy read, which was a relief to me. Most of his older works are way too overwritten.

This is a simple murder story, but there is a very strong psychological element that makes it all work. Without spoiling too much, the whole concept of it has less to do with who and how the person is murdered but more about how our mind can sometimes work against us.

I feel like this is less of a supernatural story and more of a man vs. himself type. It also has a good lesson mixed into it about hubris. That said, I don't really want to give the main plot points away because it's just so incredibly short.

I do recommend "The Tell-Tale Heart" for those who like intelligent horror stories. It won't take too much of your time, so why skip it?

This blog was written on June 14, 2022.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. This is my favorite of Poe's work. The pacing and intensity is fantastic. I love how well it conveys the power of a guilty conscience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I am actually glad his stories are getting better.

      Delete
  2. This story freaked me out the first time I read it. Two realities are occurring at the same time. The one was morbid. The other was terrifying. THE TELL-TALE HEART is a genuine classic. Its thrill is timeless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I see what you mean there. Interesting.

      Delete
  3. Once again, the horror is psychological. Is it really happening, or is it all in his mind? Not knowing makes it more frightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. We are immersed in the mind of a killer. What a scary place to be!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, this seems to just about be the progenitor of the phycological thriller.

      Delete