Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Fairy Tale Spotlight: The Velveteen Rabbit [Short Story Review]

"The Velveteen Rabbit" is a short story written by Margery Williams. It was first published  in 1922. It is considered to be one of the most famous children's stories ever written.

I actually am surprised it took me so long to finally get around to reading it. I grew up with a cartoon about it that captured the story fairly well, but I think it just slipped my mind over time. It's too bad. I kind of wish I had read it a lot earlier. It's not a very long story, so like I said... it's too bad I forgot.

"The Velveteen Rabbit" is as close as you can get to passing along very intelligent concepts in a perceptible way to a child. The story is very intelligently written and deals with adult topics such as the state of existence, life, death, and what it means to be real. Everything is written very eloquently, but it is never written in a way that could not be understood by a young child. It is perhaps even intended to intrigue them.

This is not a "Toy Story" type tale. The toys in the story, although they can think and even speak, never actually move. Sound is only heard by themselves. They are really just toys with some vague idea of what they are and an urge to become real. This is where a very simplified concept of anthropomorphization occurs. The toys can only become real through the fiery love of the soul-bearing humans. It is a fascinating concept that, although greatly appreciated by an adult, can just as easily be taken in by the simple mind of a child. It is brilliant.

This story is also a bonafide fairy tale. It has a fairy in it. And I don't say any more than that. I just think that this story does need to be read. It's deserving of its classic status. I absolutely recommend "The Velveteen Rabbit" to anyone of any age, and, if you are a parent, you should definitely read it to your children. It will broaden their minds.

This blog was written on July 21, 2022.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Children imagine their toys are people. Sometimes a child's favorite toy is also his or her imaginary friend. This is what makes the fiction "ring true" in a way, especially since the toys cannot actually move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a deep spiritual meaning to the object of passing one's spirit to another. But that sort of thing is rarely stated in children's literature.

      Delete
  2. I remember reading this one as a kid. The thing I liked about it was that it didn't pander to kids, in that it handled grown up themes. I agree every kid should read or be read the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I did not expect that to happen. This is something that is very rare even in old children's literature.

      Delete
  3. It reminds me of a similar concept that I had. The two stuffed animals would speak, but could not move. They existed in that world on a spiritual level, guiding the children through the challenges they faced.

    ReplyDelete