Monday, December 19, 2022

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Around the World in Eighty Days [Book Review]

My first Jules Verne book and it wasn't even a science fiction!

"Around the World in Eighty Days" is a novel written by Jules Verne. It was originally published in French in 1872. The story follows Englishman Phileas Fogg on his journey to win a bet by doing exactly what is in the title of the book. It could not be any simpler than that.

Although I should say that there are some complications. Indeed, there was a lot of adventure to be had, but there is also the issue of a man named Fix who thinks Phileas is a bank robber. This is sort of a hanging thread for the entire length of the book, and it's hard to figure out if Phileas really is the man that Fix thinks he is. I won't spoil it though!

The real driving force of this book are the characters and Verne's presentation of said characters. Phileas comes across as intensely stoic. He is so stoic, in fact, that he mostly seems to lack a personality. You have to learn about him through his actions, and his actions describe a very good and moral person. I really did like him, but he doesn't really talk much in the book. I spent most of my time waiting to see what his valet was doing.

Passepartout is one of the most interesting and amusing characters I have ever read about. Even though he is not technically the main character, I kept forgetting that because of how active he was in the story. He easily steals the show from the story's main protagonist.

Passepartout is a jack of all trades, but he has the innocence of a child. The good works of his master will easily bring him to tears, and he will stop at nothing to do likewise in the name of Phileas Fogg. I loved him so much.

The whole reason I picked up this book was because I used to be a fan of the old, forgotten show "The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne," which starred Phileas and Passepartout, although there story was completely different. That said, they must have really gone out of their way to portray the characters correctly, because I could see them quite clearly in the book. It was so wonderful to finally see them together again.

I don't want to spoil anything. You just need to understand how enjoyable this book was to read. It is an adventure with some brief moments of levity brought about by how real these characters feel. I absolutely recommend "Around the World in Eighty Days" if you are seeking a fun adventure to wet your appetite. This one is a bonafide classic!

This blog was written on November 27, 2022.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting that the journey itself was the objective, not to actually get anywhere or do anything other than travel. It proved an adventure because things did not go smoothly. The fiction was so true to life in these regards. ALSO very interesting: The "supporting" character was actually the main character. The least is the greatest and the greatest least, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's a great way to look at it. He made this book wonderful.

      Delete
  2. I remember really enjoying this one when I read it in high school. Jules Verne knew what it was meant to have an adventure. I wish "The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne" was available on dvd, I remember seeing at least a few episodes and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why that show fell into obscurity. More people should experience it!

      Delete
  3. This was a fun adventure with a simple concept. However, the real appeal is the main characters and the people they meet along the way. As in most of his works, there is much to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I am already reading another by him. He teaches you a lot about the world at that time.

      Delete