Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Fairy Tale Spotlight: The Musings of a Lonely Skunk

Today, I found out something that I think I may not have formerly understood properly. Apparently, there are some people that think creatures like me don't smell very good. It had something to do with a famous cartoon series. I looked into it, and I was rather shocked... but not altogether unamused. It's not really based on reality. My reality, anyways.

Now, could this be perhaps why people avoid me when I walk up to them? If so, I don't mean anything by it. I only want to wish you a good day. Perhaps we could talk about other things, or you could talk while I lay here with a rose betwixt my teeth. Just something I like to do sometimes.

The truth is that the whole smelly business is more of a last resort for those who mean to treat us poorly. It's locked away in a special chamber, and only I have the key. I've no intention on being crass without any good reason for it. In all acts of retaliation, there must always be a certain level of provocation.

Personally, I don't see why we can't just get along. I'm a person. You're a person. But then, I don't even know if you're listening right now. You could. You really could. But I digress.

Skunks can be very affectionate, you know? At least I can be. I try to be. I want to get to know you or anyone else. I am a listener, it's true. I like to listen and look into the eyes of my guest. It's my favorite thing. Nothing else really. I just like to do that.

But if everyone is running away from you, how am I supposed to enjoy myself? I don't want to be alone. I want to be with someone. Although I will admit to enjoying the company of other skunks, it's not always something I can rely on. I do like to fiddle about outside of the species whenever I can.

And while I am still writing this, I would like something of a critique about the whole rose thing. Is it too much? Should I lay on my side or on my back? Too exposed? Too vulnerable? What gesture would please you personally while I am in my... listening position? Hmm? I'd like to know. Although I would prefer to keep the whole rose thing. It's sort of something special to just me.

That said, I think I have done enough musing. I might let the fleeing people know that I am safe before they get out of earshot. That's what I'll do. "Come back, darling! I'm not going to hurt you! Let's talk! Or you can just talk! I'm a good listener! Do you like roses?!" Does that sound too desperate? Hmm. It may need work. I'll try different variations. Lovely.

-----

This blog was written on November 27, 2022.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Cute but sad. The skunk is friendly and wants to be friends, but everyone fears he will stink on them. Oh, the racism! Then again, one of his kind is a notorious sexual predator, which doesn't help. Oh, the unfairness of it all! I'll toss this little guy a rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got so many roses I want to give to him too.

      Delete
  2. Poor skunk he can't get any love and affection because everyone's bias. The truth is the scent is a defense mechanism, so if you are friendly you have nothing to worry about. I feel for him as he suffers because others lack friendliness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the great misunderstanding that needs to be dealt with!

      Delete
  3. So long as they do not spray you, one could get along with these creatures. The danger is always there, hence the desire to get away. A skunk with a liking for humans would find this very disappointing.

    ReplyDelete