Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Fairy Tale Spotlight: The Book Hoard

My name is Jack. I'm a ferret. I am writing this now that I have come to the conclusion that I have... a problem. The location: the couch. Specifically, behind the couch. Originally, I had been putting things back there. Shiny things. Smelly things. You know, like keys, money, and used socks. The usual! But while I was roaming around my owner's library, something hit me. No, I am serious. Something actually hit me.

A book fell on my head and nearly killed me! I don't know where it came from. It was a direct hit, too. I was a little stunned but also completely on the defensive. I was noodling in various alpha tango loop-de-loop patterns in order to distract my enemy. I might have also had brain damage; I was never quite sure.

After making my way under a desk, I watched my attacker carefully. I'm not stupid. I know what a book is. It's a boring and dusty stationary object... AT LEAST I THOUGHT IT WAS! This thing pretty much deliberately tried to knock me out. Good thing I am so hard-headed. After a while of just staring at it warily, I soon came to realize that it wasn't going to move anymore. Apparently gravity was it's only power.

I decided that I needed to get a little revenge on it. My plan was to yank the thing back to my behind-the-couch hoard. But there were other books still there, and they still had the power of gravity behind them. I had to do it fast.

Three.

Two.

One.

"AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

I nipped at the book cover and dragged it as fast as I could out of the room! I am pretty sure a million of the book's friends were falling all around me! It was chaos, I tell you! Pure chaos! Actually, I didn't actually see any books falling, but I was pretty sure it was happening. Why else would it have felt so intense?

Once I got the book squared away behind the couch, it made its final attempt to best me. It opened up. At first, I thought this was an attempt to attack me, but I think I might have accidently nudged it open. Carefully I peeked inside and found... a lot... and I mean A LOT of words. Like too many of them. They were just scurrying all around and dancing about on the pages. They were mocking me!

"Stop it!" I shouted at them. But they didn't listen! They just kept dancing around, laughing at me like I was some sort of idiot. I tried to bite them, but it didn't work. They were all flat against the page. I spent a good hour just screaming at them. That didn't work either.

I was at my wit's end. I had no more ideas but one. It was a stretch, but I had no choice. I attempted to "read" them. Yes, I, Jack the ferret, attempted to read the dancing words. At first, they just continued to laugh at me and dance, but I didn't give up. I wanted revenge so bad. But over time, the words began to stop dancing as much. It was working! I was beginning to read, and it was making the words straighten up! Woohoo!

I read every single word in that book to get all of them in line. That's when I realized that all the other books were probably in need of reading as well. If I didn't, they would probably jump off the shelf and hurt someone. It was their dancing, I reckoned, that was causing them to fall out of the shelves. One by one, I would dash into the library, and pull them back into my behind-the-couch hoard. Then I would open them up and read every single one of those stupid, dancing words.

The plan was to get all the books in the library behind the couch, and I got about halfway before the master of the house found out what I was doing. He was trying to take the books back! I was violently opposed! I screeched and snapped! I danced around in wild circles! I declared war on the entire universe! Who are these words that they should dance and fall down on people?! Who, I say?!

No matter how hard the master tried to remove the books, I always brought them back. I read all the words. I would look up defiantly when the master would glare. In his ignorance, he judges me! Show respect for your tiny savior! I am Jack, the great book tamer!

------

This blog was written on December 4, 2022.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. My favorite line, because it was so adorable in context, was: "The plan was to get all the books in the library behind the couch." Yes, a ferret would not be exaggerating to say such a thing. They have the will, darn it!

    Cute. Very cute. I loved how you translated a ferret's behavior into thoughts and words. I could see the manic creature being its primal self, but as a person, it was even cuter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, it reminded me of my pet ferret "Job" I had back in college. He wanted all the shiny objects in my apartment no matter what the cost. Jack is a noble ferret doing his best to tame all the books, too bad he doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Job is such a cute name for a ferret. That's awesome!

      Delete
  3. A book could be a dangerous thing to a ferret. How do they stay on the shelf with all those dancing words? Best to read them until they settle down.

    ReplyDelete