Monday, May 8, 2023

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Dying Room Only [Short Story Review]

"Dying Room Only" is a short story written by Richard Matheson. It was published in 1953. What's interesting here is that the story could have happened in just about any modern era... as long as it was before cell phones had become mainstream. And even if we had cell phones, a dead battery would have fixed that plotline right up!

This story is all about the madness someone goes through when things simply stop making sense. Imagine having a completely normal day, and something happens that makes no sense, and nobody but you seems to acknowledge it. I swear all of these author's stories are just like Twilight Zone episodes.

In the story, a woman and her husband go to a bar in the middle of a sweltering desert. After they both go into their respective restrooms, the wife comes out and finds that her husband is completely missing, and nobody in the bar will acknowledge what happened.

Whether the story is supernatural or not, and I won't say one way or another, the real idea of this story comes from the madness of a purely "wrong" situation. And the story does a great job at showing the fear, the discomfort, and the insanity that can happen to a person when they are thrust suddenly into that terrifying situation.

"Dying Room Only" gets a big recommendation from me. I found it to be very satisfying and intense. I would have loved to have seen a film version of this honestly, but I am unsure if it was ever adapted. Either way, it was easy enough to imagine.

This blog was written on April 21, 2023.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting. Sad, but we doubt what we see with our own eyes when others tell us we did not see it. If only one person tells us we're right, it gives us certainty. There is a spiritual connotation to this, though I do not quite understand it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I suppose it is easy to blame people for not waking the hell up when something like this happens.

      Delete
  2. Interesting, I've always liked "Twilight Zone" type stories so I might have to check this out. It's a horrible thought to think about what it would be like to lose your mind, the sudden realization that nothing makes sense anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. It's a good one. I liked how it ended.

      Delete
  3. We fear the unknown most of all. So when something happens that we cannot explain, it tends to be unsettling. A lack of understanding can lead to madness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the unknown tends to be the worst of all bad things.

      Delete