Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Girl of My Dreams [Short Story Review]

"Girl of My Dreams" is a short story written by Richard Mattheson. It was published in 1963.

The story tells of a really nasty man who is living with/in care of a woman who can see the  impending death of people inside her nightmares. He then uses the information she gives him to charge the family of the future victims for information on how to stop the deaths from occurring.

I do like the idea of this story, but it did make something a bit unusual clear to me. I don't normally read books about extremely horrible people. The man in this story is so rotten and bereft of any morality that it was pretty startling to read. I guess those kinds of characters don't show up very often in my choice of books.

It was really hard to read this story and not hate this man, but the sad thing is that I do think that people like this actually exist. It's one of the reasons I groan about humanity from time to time. There is real evil out there, and it won't do you any good to ignore that fact. If you still aren't convinced, stop bothering to lock your front door at night.

"Girl of My Dreams" gets a big ol' recommendation from me. The ending, which I won't spoil here, is very satisfying. Be prepared, however, for a very dark ride to the finish. It's a story about a horrible man and a severely abused woman. It strikes fairly deep and makes you wish you could do something to stop the events from happening, making you feel pretty helpless.

This blog was written on April 19, 2023.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Sadly people such as the man in the story do exist, they live to bring misery to others. I personally avoid stories like this because they make me depressed. Not to cast any shadows on this story though, I'm sure it's some good drama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you for not reading it. It's rough.

      Delete
  2. The common evil is where the greater evils come from. The selfish and sadistic live normally... till an opportunity arrives. The monster within comes out when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, people usually pretend to be good until an opportunity arrives. Basically you said it better.

      Delete
  3. Knowledge is power, and can be used to benefit from the suffering of others. However, it is a two-edged sword and can come back to haunt those who would abuse it. We will be held responsible for what we do with what we know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah and important to know about this story.

      Delete