Monday, September 28, 2026

I Stand Here Ironing [Short Story Review]

"I Stand Here Ironing" is a short story written by Tillie Olsen. It was published in 1961.

There is no real need to go into spoilers for this one. The premise is very simple. It is a first person recount from the perspective of a single mother during the Great Depression. It helps give you an understanding of what it is like to be a working mother who is so busy that she just cannot find the time to actually form a connection with her children.

This is a sad one. Those times were rough. After all those Jean Shepherd stories I read, it looks like that family had it a bit easier. In the case of this mother, her husband abandoned her, leaving her to do everything herself. She does... but at the cost of a real and meaningful relationship with her children.

Tough topic, but it was written well. I do recommend it to those who would like to understand this perspective better.

This blog was written on August 26, 2026.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, why not leave a comment below? I'd love to hear what you think. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ

Check out my books! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment