Rather than telling you the main beats of the story, I'd rather tell you exactly what this story is. From beginning to end, this is a narrative told from the first person perspective of an 80-year-old woman in the process of dying. I cannot summarize it any better than that. That is literally what this story is.
I should further say that she is not entirely aware that it is happening. Her mind is working well enough. It's active and still processing things. Most of what the story gives you are her free-flowing thoughts as her last moments pass. It's shocking because most of it has nothing to do with the fact that she is dying. She is still trying to live and take care of things that need to get done. She does not even really seem to understand that she is dying until a few moments before it happens.
This story gives you a very strange look at the concept of the world fading out of existence. You only get her perspective and no one else's. There is no religious viewpoint here either. It is life slipping into either the unknown or some sort of oblivion. It does not show you anything on the other side.
Might this be considered a horror? It's hard to say. The thing that's happening here is perfectly normal, but it is something we dislike thinking about. I think the most difficult part of the story is the fact that she is barely even conscious that it is happening at all. There are so many things that will ultimately just not get finished or completed when it ends.
Regardless of the topic, the story is very well-written, and I have no choice but to recommend it. It's a tough one though! Know what you are getting into!
This blog was written on August 13, 2026.
Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, why not leave a comment below? I'd love to hear what you think. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ
Check out my books! Thanks!

No comments:
Post a Comment