Thursday, March 19, 2015

Beyond Youth

"Beyond Youth" by T.K. Wade (As told by Petalweight the bard.)

What a tiny thing I was. A delicate urchin from Nestle who did prance about freely as doth the wind. Untethered gambols were my mission in early life, and I mingled with those of similar ilk. We all danced in celebration of the Great One and found solace in his image, for were not all jerboas of his making? Ah! But to be young again! To dance, to play, to skip about for no other reason but that we should indulge in the act!

To be young and innocent is a freedom not forever retained! But to grow and learn of the ways of manhood mingles one with an unyielding charge that he must see beyond himself! Tis a duty with no easy success, for thy heart must first change, and thy will must last a lifetime! Take heed that a single effort to placate Mersis is a folly and not to be sanctioned as a reality! No! It is an insult!

When we are struck by the firm blow of insight, we must then choose! To care for your fellow man or to cast them aside like so many childish whims! To put the latter to action is to remain trapped within the soiled innocence of childhood! But alas! It is not the same! To be born a child is impersonal, but to rise to adulthood only to cast it aside is madness! It is also cruel, and those who are cruel cannot know the joys of life in truth!

Did I not cast aside my indifference nigh the war’s meridian? Indeed! I was no friend towards rat or capybara in those former years, but to forsake those who bind together our fragile lives for the love of king and country is a crime I shall not commit! Hear me, for I am of Murridae! The Great Jerboa be damned if I must cast slander to those who fight in my name!

And then until this moment do I sing out to those who will hear me! I must cry out my joy, for it is only joy of which I know in truth! Fear not for the toils of life, but that thou must only strive for good in this world! Shake thy hands at the gods if they prohibit thee from accomplishing it! These are the words of Petalweight, and wherever I roam, I chose to be an inspiration to all who hear me!

-Glossary-

Nestle: A city in the country of Murridae. It is almost entirely populated by the jerboa race.

The Great One/The Great Jerboa: The Great Jerboa is the sole religious focus of the jerboa race. The jerboas are monotheistic and believe in one god who represents them. In truth, The Great Jerboa is real but is simply among the many other gods. He is called Irritum and is the god of vanity.

Jerboa: A rodent with a long tail that has a cute puff on the end. Petalweight is a jerboa. They are one of the many rodent races living in his country.

Rats and Capybaras: Two rodent races living in Murridae. Rats are the soldier class, and the capybaras are giants who love war.

Mersis: The mouse goddess of mercy and compassion.

Murridae: The country of which Petalweight lives. It is entirely populated by rodents.


No comments:

Post a Comment