Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Raven Riders

"The Raven Riders" by T.K. Wade (As told by Petalweight the bard.)

Hist! I say to you land dwellers who know nothing of the true thrill of flight. Those who dare to mount upon the very birds who on occasion attempt to kill us, and do what?! Fly upon their backs as if the very wind itself shall be dominated by the rodent lust for conquest?! Are we mad?! Verily, you should never see skinny Petalweight in flight upon these feathery beasts! Like the petal which is my namesake, I would be cast asunder by the first gust of wind that would so cruelly strike upon me!

What are these Raven Riders that compels them to take on such a task?! Perhaps madness is a relevant claim, but should this fevered mind be so useful as to turn the tide of battle, then I say let them be mad! But perchance this be something more than insanity, I would call it bravery beyond the scope of my many dreams! To sit upon a saddled bird and fly into the clouds with no other purpose but to create new destinies for our kingdom–this bard has faced an assassin, and he is not yet so brave!

I often wonder what it means to fly, and I have come to abrupt conclusions that it cannot be calculated but only imagined without bearing witness–an action that shall never compel me to its door! Could any of you imagine looking down at the kingdom from heights where only feathered creatures dwell?! Perhaps so, but I doubt it is with any accuracy, and only the Raven Riders could attest to such splendor!

Think on it, I say! Murridae has changed! We are no longer beings bound to dirt! We are more than that! We are creatures of an ever progressing way! Again, think on it! For these are the words of Petalweight, and while he is bound to the dirt by choice, his words yet take flight so that the entire world should hear them!

-Glossary-

Rodent: People in Petalweight's world are all different species of rodents, but they act like ordinary people.

Raven Riders: In this universe, rodents (usually rats) mount giant ravens and use them as mounts to fly across the country. They can also be used in war. It is a military operation only.

Murridae: The country Petalweight lives in. It is entirely populated by rodents.


No comments:

Post a Comment