[I spoil the main points of the story.]
This one had me scratching my head a bit. It involves a family of horse dealers that have fallen on completely awful times, even to the point of having to shut down. It's all over, and there's nothing they can do now that the parents are dead.
The one daughter named Mable is told to be fairly ugly, even referencing a bull dog to paint a picture of her face. One thing she does have going for her is a stare that is really kind of shocking. Just to look into her eyes is very difficult.
Well, her life is basically over, just like it is with her brothers. They don't like her much and don't really care where she is going to end up. At this point, I can barely even tell where the story is going, but it does go somewhere.
A local doctor who is just going about his rounds happens to see Mable on the street. They share a look, and this look does something to him that he does not quite understand. Later on, he happens to witness the same woman walking into a pond and soon realizes she is committing suicide. He runs down there and rescues her, although it is almost as traumatic for him since he cannot swim.
He does manage to save her though and takes her into to a nearby house. She is revived, which actually goes really well. He also strips her naked in order to cover her in dry cloths. Once she is awake and has come to her senses, she begins hugging him at the knees and kissing him, claiming that he must love her. Whether this is true or not, he soon believes it too and even offers to marry her tomorrow, if he can arrange it.
That's where the story basically ends.
So this is either one of two things. Either this is a story of sudden and immediate love that came at a very fortuitous moment in Mable's life... or she basically hypnotized him with that intense look of hers. You kind of have to decide for yourself, but there is a lot of evidence for either argument. Personally, I think its the latter. I think she very boldly arranged this whole thing so that she would be married to a doctor, leaving her brothers in the dust. But you really have to read it yourself to decide.
I do recommend this story. I found it out in the wild, but apparently the regular way to find this story is in the book "England, My England and Other Stories." I do believe, however, that this story can simply just be read on the internet these days.
This blog was written on August 10, 2026.
Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, why not leave a comment below? I'd love to hear what you think. Also stop by my Amazon.com listing by clicking this link: https://www.amazon.com/T.K.-Wade/e/B07BQK9RTZ
Check out my books! Thanks!

Interesting. Perhaps the weirdest love story I have ever heard about. If we give Mable the benefit of the doubt, she may have been inspired that someone would risk himself for her sake... and she fell in love with him, perhaps using hypnosis to encourage he respond in kind. If he lived happily with her, then he was blessed for his trouble.
ReplyDelete