Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Our Divine Spinoff, Part 28

There was, in the old days of Canaan, one particular Cynocephaly by the name of Christopher. He was a whopping seven and a half feet tall and had a face which most saw as rather fierce. This face was, of course, a dog’s face. In this age, there were many dog-headed men walking about doing good service for the king of the day.

Christopher had a great privilege of being the personal assistant to the king of Canaan himself. It was a good and powerful job, but Christopher was not into it for the power. “Can I please have another treat?” asked Christopher of the king.

“Have you finished your duties, Christopher?” the king asked.

“Yes, yes. I created the potions like I was asked. They are very potent. One sip and you cannot say no to anything. I worked really hard on it. It was fun. Can I have my treat now, master?”

“I think you have earned it,” said the king.

“I did! I really did! Treat please!”

So the king reached into his pocket and tossed the seven-foot-tall Cynocephaly a treat. It must have been very yummy because Christopher had little hearts in his eyes as he snapped it up and munched down on it. “Please more?” the dog-headed man asked.

“Oh, not now,” replied the king. “I am very busy, but I will give you more treats as you continue to serve me.”

“I will always serve you,” claimed Christopher, “for you are the greatest king in all of the world.”

“What makes you think that?” asked the curious king who had been trying to walk away.

“Because you are the only king who gives me treats. Surely none other would do that. I am very impressed.”

The king laughed at what he heard. This laughter only confused Christopher. He had not been trying to make a joke. It was then explained, “I am certain that there are other kings who had treats which are just as good, if not better. But I am pleased that you are such a loyal follower.”

Christopher glared at the king with wide canine eyes that seemed to be locked in perpetual shock. “Oh,” was all he said.

Now somewhat uncomfortable by Christopher’s weird glare, the king said, “I mean… I know my treats are very good, but I doubt that has anything to do with me being the greatest king. You understand, right?”

The dog-headed man’s eyes seemed all the more intense and weird. Once again, Christopher replied with, “Oh.”

The king began to sweat. “Um… I’m going to walk away now.” The Cynocephaly still glared. First slow and then swiftly, the king ran away from the creepy dog who seemed to be having some sort of meltdown.

After nearly ten full minutes of just glaring at nothing, Christopher eventually blinked. He looked around a moment before becoming introspective. He said to himself, “I thought I was serving the greatest of kings… but as it turns out, he only has tasty treats. Is this king not as alpha as he once seemed? I must consider this turn of event… but first… more glaring.” And so Christopher remained standing there for a while long… just glaring down the hallway. It was really creepy.

To be continued.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. That makes total sense. A sapient dog would still be... a dog. He will still be naturally loyal yet expect treats. The glare was hilarious, especially when it continued on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The glare is a part of the lore. A lot of people were creeped out by him.

      Delete
  2. That stare haha... Of course Christopher would want to serve only The Alpha by his nature. There is much beyond the surface of that stare as he is pondering the words of his master, a king with better treats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is a pondering aspect to it. It's his deep thought face. It also shows his disconnect from what he thought was the truth.

      Delete
  3. He definitely has a dog's loyalty. Give them what they want and they will serve you. Now that he has found he can get what he wants elsewhere I expect things will change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. We rely a lot on dogs today. Lucifer did too.

      Delete