Thursday, July 18, 2019

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Our Divine Spinoff, Part 39

Christopher found the river. It was indeed very deep, but as he was so very tall, he could easily walk through it with his head above water. After trying it himself, he then proceeded to offer his assistance to those who needed to make the crossing.

At first, many of the travelers were unsure of this Cynocephaly. They would approach him and ask if he could help them. Promptly turning to look at them, Christopher would glare creepily as he replied, “Yes, I am here for that purpose, but only that it shall be in the service of Christ of whom I have never met and have no clear idea if he exists or not. But I am going to do it anyways, for I find that I have no other course of action if I wish to serve the greatest king of them all.”

“Okay, okay!” shouted the travelers. “Didn’t need your whole life story. I’m ready to go.”

“Very well,” replied Christopher before lifting the travelers up onto his shoulders and then carrying them across with ease. He did this relentlessly for nearly a year with no proof that he was indeed serving any great king at all. And the more he did so, the graver his expression became.

So grave and creepy did his face become that many of the travelers did not want him to take him across. But Christopher had sworn an allegiance to the greatest king of all and would not allow them to turn his service down. “It is my duty, in the service of Christ, to carry you across this river to the other side.” And then while the travelers were still trying to decide if they should go or not, Christopher would lift them up and take them across before they would reach a final decision.

Christopher was, however, becoming ever unsure if what he was doing was really in the service of anyone. After all, he had never met this king. He was beginning to wonder if he ever would.

There then came a day when he had been waiting by the riverside for a lengthy amount of time with no travelers to be helped. A small boy came up to him and asked, “Would you please take me across the river?”

“I will do so,” said the Cynocephaly. “I will do it for the unseen and unknown king known as Christ of whom I have never met and who I will likely never meet. This is a duty I perform for him despite wondering more and more each day if I have been wasting my life by carrying silly people to and fro across this river.”

“All righty then,” said the child. “Will you lift me up please?”

“Very well,” replied Christopher with a creepy glare. And so he did. But when he came to about the half way point of the river, the child suddenly began to feel immensely heavy. All Cynocephaly were very strong creatures. A small child would be nothing to them, but Christopher was soon beginning to worry that he was going to drown under the sudden and incredible weight of this little boy.

When Christopher finally made it to the other side, he fell to the ground while taking care not to hurt the child. Panting and wheezing, he told the boy, “Because of you, I have been put into the greatest danger. Having you on my shoulders was as if I was bearing the whole world.”

The child smiled pleasantly and placed a hand upon Christopher's dog-headed face. The boy then said, “You had upon your shoulders not only the world but Him who made it. I am the Christ and you have been doing my work. In this way you have served me.” The boy then vanished right in front of Christopher.

The Cynocephaly remained perfectly still as he looked upon the spot where the child had been standing. He was wet and dripping, yet he dared not move. There was no longer a creepy glare upon his face. What was left was a look of wonder at what had just happened.

But Christopher could not deny what had just transpired. He had just met the greatest king of all–a child who bore the weight of the world upon him. He had glorified the acts of Christopher, and it was in that moment that a new resolve filled the Cynocephaly’s heart. Christopher had chosen to serve Christ for the rest of his days and nothing would ever sway him from that path.

To be continued.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. I wept. Christopher sought and unexpectedly found. The Christ gave him a glimpse of the Greatest King's responsibility by weighing it upon his shoulders. The Christ was beyond Christopher... and the cynocephaly rejoiced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happened right as he began to doubt the truth of it. I don't blame him for doubting it either. It's how he works.

      Delete
  2. Very profound, love the part where the Truth is revealed to Christopher. Having only a short glimpse of the weight that the King of kings carries Christopher knows he has found The Alpha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was proof of fact. That's what he needed.

      Delete
  3. So, now he knows the one he has been serving. He also knows the great burden that person carries. I guess a look of wonder is better than that creepy glare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to refute an experience like that, whoever you are.

      Delete