Thursday, July 4, 2019

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Our Divine Spinoff, Part 35

Christopher was not just a marauder, he was a very good one. He followed Everdread in all things. He raped and pillaged in a way that would be impressive to most people. Everdread was soon under the realization that he had picked up a very good member for his band. He was proud that he had taken Christopher in. He felt special for it.

“How have I been doing for you, master?” asked Christopher one evening. The band had made camp near a great river and were feasting on the spoils of their endeavors.

Everdread placed a hand upon the Cynocephaly’s shoulder. “You are a great and loyal villain, Christopher. But the real test is yet to come. We shall be raiding a Christian temple soon. The spoils shall be great.”

Christopher cocked his head upon hearing about this new adventure. “I have never heard of this sort of temple before.”

“It is a place where prudes come to pray. It is nonsense. But you will show them that we do not care for them and will take all that they possess for themselves. And the world will let us do it because we are strong and they are weak.”

“I see,” said Christopher solemnly. “And if I perform these acts for you, will they be in the service of the Devil?”

“Aye, they will,” replied Everdread. “And I could only do it with you. You shall make me so proud.”

“Do you speak with the Devil’s tongue, master?”

“I do.”

And so Christopher looked up solemnly towards the moon. He felt as if he had really achieved his calling. He was serving the greatest kings of them all. The Cynocephaly was at peace.

On the following day, the band were making their way to the Christian temple where they would kill, rape, and pillage. Along the pathway, a number of odd crosses had been set up along the side of the road. Christopher did not know what these crosses were and was intent on just passing by them, but, before he could do so, Everdread snatched the Cynocephaly’s arm and yanked him away.

“No,” said the leader. “Come this way.”

“Is this not the quickest way to the temple?” asked Christopher.

“I do not wish to pass by these crosses. Let us take another path.”

“But they are merely made of wood and can do no harm,” said Christopher. “I do not understand this.”

“Am I not your leader?” asked Everdread with a growl. “I say we go the long way around. We do not pass by those crosses. Now, come.”

But Christopher did not come. He just stood right where he was making the creepiest glare that Everdread had ever seen. So creepy was this glare, that it even unnerved the great leader of the marauders. “Why are you making that face?” he said uncomfortably.

“Why must the man who speaks for the greatest king of all,” began Christopher, “be so inclined to avoid a wooden cross of no merit? It stands before me harmless and benign. The temple is achieved faster this way. I do not understand this.”

“It’s just a detour! Good grief, stop making that face! I can’t look at it.”

Christopher’s visage became all the more fierce. “I do not understand you!” he said with intensity. “I joined you in the hope of serving the greatest king of them all, but you are afraid of simple, wooden crosses that are not even blocking our path!”

“It is not the crosses that I fear,” explained Everdread, “but what they represent.”

Christopher’s face was so intense that everyone in the band cowered a little as of sheer creep. “What do they represent?!”

“I cannot speak of it, Christopher! Just follow me!”

“No! I cannot follow you! Be gone from me! I shall discover who bears the mark of this cross, for it is he who I should be following. Only then will I find a master worth serving. I care nothing more for you. You are ultimately weak. Be gone.” And so Christopher walked up to one of the crosses and stood before it… glaring at it rather hard.

Everdread considered killing the Cynocephaly for his betrayal, but something stopped him. Perhaps it was compassion. Perhaps it was fear. He moved on and left the dog-headed man glaring at the cross.

To be continued.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. VERY interesting. As simple as Christopher seems to be, he does see the obvious, and few actually do. Everdread spoke with the voice of one master but it was mute in the symbolic presence of another. Christopher is climbing the mountain. He noticed the flag flying atop it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cynocephaly was a very intelligent race that could see nuances like this.

      Delete
  2. Once again, he is obsessed with following whoever is in power. It does not matter who it is. So long as they are the greatest, he will be their servant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everdread's plan was to be followed out but he showed his fear for something that was far greater than him or his master. I loved the part when Christopher says "Be gone from me!", it illustrates that a glimpse of the Truth has been revealed to him. Loved the creepy stare as well haha.

    ReplyDelete