Monday, October 26, 2020

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Blood and Honey

I love being wrong. I really do. Although I was not entirely wrong in this case, but I was a bit, slightly wrong, I suppose. But let me explain myself. I have put forth that there is no good Christian entertainment out there. This is almost entirely true. It's a good 99% true. But there are exceptions, I am happy to say. And when something is done right, it deserves praise.

I'd like to get a small thing out of the way though. I do want to say that the animated children's film for Pilgrim's Progress (1978) is quite good. There are perhaps a few nitpicks I have with it. Some of the female voice actresses came across as remarkably flat, but all in all, it was a very good film and worth seeing.

Now on to the one I really want to talk about.

Blood and Honey is a Christian TV series from 1991. I watched it quite a bit as a child. It came on PBS at the time, and I remember going out of my way to watch it absolutely every chance I got. I recently reconnected with it and found myself having those same pangs of entertainment and joy as I went through each episode. My adrenalin couldn't keep up with what this show was throwing at me. What I mean to say was... my blood always feels like it's rushing while I watch it. I'm serious. The show gives me a thrill.

But what exactly is Blood and Honey? What is this masterful work of Christian art that captured the attention of someone who prefers Satanic films to Christian ones? It must be pretty impressive, right? Probably a top notch budget? Good acting? Authentic set design? None of those things, although the last one is debatable.

Blood and Honey is technically considered a Christian documentary series, but I never really feel like I'm watching a documentary. Let me explain: In every episode of Blood and Honey, a rather notable actor named Tony Robinson walks about the modern day Holy Lands and explains what exactly happened in the Bible as if it was happening right then and there. It sometimes feels as if the things that happened in Biblical history was happening right at this moment... or, at the very least, the 90's.

And I just cannot emphasize enough how wonderful Mister Robinson's telling of these stories is. He's so dang blasted into it! He moves about energetically, waving his arms, yelling out the lines of these Biblical characters as if he was borrowing their spirits. Every emotion is plastered on his face so vividly that I find myself rather enthralled by his performance.

By the end of an episode, I am almost surprised that all I saw was a guy walking around yelling at me for 15 minutes. That's all it is! Of course, they still do some interesting camera work. When he plays multiple people, the camera will cut around to him standing in different places. I can't help but think that this was meant to be both amusing and interesting at the same time. He does it so well. Tony was just amazing.

Blood and Honey is remarkably hard to find nowadays. There are a few episodes available on YouTube, but most of them are improperly titled. I stumbled over them by chance, and I am so happy to be able to soak these in again. I'll provide you with a link down below to make it easy on you. Well worth your time.

Blood and Honey is apparently owned by a big group called CTVC. The conglomerate owns a number of TV stations in the UK (such as BBC), a number of them with a focus on Christian entertainment. After researching them a bit, I do not recommend pursuing them at all. They have pretty much gone in the direction as every other company has. Blood and Honey is the only good thing to ever happen there, and you should stick with this. Watch them wherever you can find them.

Here is a YouTube link to a bunch that I found: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLamA8dtwR5WY7hrW1qMi20vQuQOMNyzHQ

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!


6 comments:

  1. Interesting. I watched it. Traditional storytelling at its finest. It would not be good save for the excellent performance of Tony Robinson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a reason these stories still capture our interest. If you take the time to get into them, they will become a part of you. Among the lessons learned, there is much to be enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People need to give this one a chance because there is really nowhere else to go for anything good.

      Delete
  3. Tony Robinson is a wonderful storyteller! What I saw of Blood and Honey was wonderful, and it was just Mr Robinson telling a story as he wandered around the ancient city. He put so much energy and excitement into telling the story it was so much better than anything Hollywood can muster these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was so full of energy! He was obviously inspired.

      Delete