Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Monsters of Doom, Part 5

-Wolfenstein SS-

These guys aren't so bad. They are basically the original nazi soldiers found in the game Wolfenstein 3D, but they are surprisingly only in two levels found in Doom II. Honestly, these guys are more of a call-back to the game that is accredited with popularizing the FPS genre, but it was still cool that Doom Guy got to fight them.

They are a bit more dangerous than the Zombiemen. Instead of an intermittent shot, they shoot in two round bursts constantly until they lose sight of you. They are incredibly weak, and can be easily taken down with one blast from the regular shotgun. Please, don't panic when you see them, but do try and remove them as fast as you can. They are nasty, little hit-scanners that need to die. Threat Level: 2 of 10.

-Mancubus-

Mancubi are giant, fat, hulking monsters with a fireball cannon strapped to each of its big arms. These fireballs are very large and are fired in multiples at very unpredictable angles. A lot of people tend to dodge right into them by accident. They are also really strong and cannot be stun-locked.

The biggest problem with these guys is that they tend to block passages with their giant bulk. And if there are a lot of them, it is rather hard to dance around their shots without paying really close attention to exactly where they are shooting. Basically, my point is that they tend to require your brain to overclock a little whenever they show up.

Personally, I prefer to pound rockets into them which will dispense with them pretty quickly, but since they tend to get a little confused when you get close to them, the super shotgun can be pretty useful on them in a pinch. I recommend getting rid of them first since their shots tend to fly out so unpredictably, and for the love of god, don't get hit by them. It really freaking hurts. Threat Level: 8 of 10.

-Arachnotron-

The Arachnotron are small spider-type demons that walk around and fire plasma shots at you whenever they can get a clear shot on you. They look really intimidating, but they are not so bad. The shots are slow enough for you to just dodge around or right in between them (tougher but I've done it many times). Sadly, this demon is a bit limited in what it can do and tend to only really be a problem in large groups. Even then, it's nothing like running into a room full of Hell Knights and Barons.

If you are having a hard time getting to them, throw out a few rockets. But if you can get close, just use the super shotgun on it while strafing around it. Its hard to miss. The Arachnotrons are pretty wide. Treat Level: 6 of 10.

 Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!






5 comments:

  1. I remember when I first encountered the Wolfenstein SS. I was surprised. I understood the homage for what it was. I enjoyed the moment. Yeah, the Mancubus is a heavy hitter. I stay away from them when I can, slaughtering the pipsqueaks first so I can maneuver within the volley of rockets with impunity. As for the Arachnotro: Even though their plasma bolts can be dodged, I stay behind cover and take pot shots to deal with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are hard to dodge one at a time, but the shots are a bit slow. If you just keep moving, generally they won't hit you. i still don't find them to be too bad.

      Delete
  2. The Wolfenstein SS were a cool nod to the other game. The Mancubus was always intimidating, cool design as well with those cannons for hands. The Arachnotron was probably the scariest looking enemy to me, there is something uncanny about those creepy eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the spiders look pretty cool, but my fear of them isn't as big as it was when I first saw them. I've rather come to understand how they work, and it has changed how I feel about them.

      Delete
  3. The Wolfenstein SS soldiers were a nostalgic addition to the game. Mancubi are hard to miss, but they are durable and deadly. The Arachnotrons are only a threat in large numbers.

    ReplyDelete