Thursday, November 29, 2018

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Our Divine Comedy, Pt. 20

In the beginning, Chris was found looking down at the table with surprise. "What the heck did you do?" he asked.

God walked in and pushed Chris away. "Don't touch anything, Percy! This is a really crucial part of the Line and I don't want you fiddling with it!"

"But, God, I don't understand!"

"That's because you're an idiot, Jamal. Just leave things to me. I'm working overtime right now, and I don't need my pet donkey screwing things up."

"Who is that man down there?" asked Chris.

"That would be my son. His name is Jesus. Remember the fellow that was always sitting quietly over there?"

"That's who he is? I always thought he was like... a statue or something."

God leaned a little against the edge of the table as he peered down onto its contents. "I'm a little bit on edge right now, Barney. There is a possibility that this might not go the way I want."

"Things haven't always gone the way you want," mentioned Chris. "In fact, they almost never go your way."

"Thanks for the recap, Matilda. But this particular experiment will actually decide everything else that is to come. If it fails... I might just end up wiping it all out."

Chris gulped. "Including me?"

"Probably," replied God. "A lot depends on this particular point on the Line."

"What will decide it?"

"Mr. Nobody will decide it for me. He has to approve of my son Jesus."

"Has he yet?"

"Not yet, and he isn't the least bit confident. Honestly, it's making me nervous as heck. I'm not getting any sleep. I've started taking pills. It's not been a very good day for me."

Chris looked on to God with surprise. "What's going on with you?"

"I just... can't stand... giving up any sort of control. This is my creation. It's my dream. It's my story. But for Mr. Nobody to be my guiding spirit, I have to bring him into it at this point." God pointed at the table. "This exact point. Right here where I'm pointing. This is the point which changes everything for the better or worse."

"How could it go bad?" asked Chris.

Jesus has been given the ability to choose between good and evil. I have completely relinquished my control of him. Mr. Nobody will be his judge. He will chose whether or not my son worthy. I will accept his decision completely. But for now... all I can do is just sit here. It's driving me nuts."

Chris then asked, "What will happen if he does accept Jesus?"

"Then Jesus will become the new standard... the new way. He will be the guiding principle and example for the rest of the Line."

"And you?"

"Second."

"Really?"

"Yes," nodded God as he looked forward somewhat blankly. "It's what I want. It's really and truly all I ever wanted. I just... want... this experiment... to work. Please. Please just let it work. Just... please."

"He is being judged," said Mr. Nobody.

"All right," said God softly. "I await the verdict." A tear fell from God's eye as he sat very still... and waited. To be continued.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Did you hate it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! This chapter had me on the edge of my seat. The one and only connotation was ALL OR NONE. God made the ultimate leap of faith. He believed in Jesus before anyone else did... and it was FAITH, not control this time. He bet it all on sincerity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God does not usually take risks. (He doesn't actually consider the sacrifice of humans to be a risk. He can make more of those.)

      Delete
  2. The determination to get what he wants is what keeps tripping him up. Creation cannot thrive under his thumb. Ultimately, he must let go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to do. Sorry. It's just the use of the word "MUST" is annoying me a little.

      Delete
  3. Very intense, I love the perspective you gave of God being nervous of giving up control. He is betting it all on his son after all, Jesus had to make the choice of his own accord God had to take a back seat for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was driving him nuts. I'm pretty sure it was driving him nuts.

      Delete