Thursday, May 2, 2019

Fairy Tale Spotlight: Our Divine Spinoff, Part 17

Samson woke up bound with rope. It did not really concern him. It was no big deal. He had been here three times before and had simply broken the bindings and killed everyone involved. And so when he attempted to do this, he was surprised to find out that he had become powerless. His head had been shaved. The Philistines had finally won.

Samson looked to the woman who had drawn out the secret of his strength. She was grinning. It was the very last thing he ever saw, for a moment later, a Philistine came and gouged out his eyes.

He was now blind. Sight was only a memory to him. They put him in chains and forced him to grind grain within a prison. It was brutal, backbreaking work, and it caused him much pain. Everything he once had was now gone. And he knew deep within his heart that it was not the fault of Delilah. It was his own.

“You seem a bit depressed,” remarked Lucifer.

God nodded. “I’ve been better. It isn’t the first time I’ve felt this way, and it won’t be the last. I’m fine though.”

“Are you?”

“I am. I’ve been here before. Samson’s sin is no greater than that of Adam’s. I never believed in Eve and I certainly cared nothing for Delilah. It is Samson who is to blame. He knows it too. That’s why I left him. That’s why I left Adam.”

Lucifer put his fingertips together. He said, “Samson was a creature of unbridled chaos and destruction. And ultimately he never really served you at all. In the end, he fell into my trap. His loyalty ultimately falls to me.”

“You are full of it, Lucifer,” said God. “You really are. You have been holding onto that ‘gotcha’ moment for this entire episode. Just dying to deliver it to me at the end of the story. I knew Samson was going to fail. I even knew Adam would as well.

“Come to think of it… Adam was never all that interesting to me. The story of his creation is more interesting than him as a man. But Samson… I was his biggest fan. Likewise with Adam, I gave Samson the run of the world. He was my judge, and he spent his life putting you in your place.

“Ultimately he failed. Yes, he failed. I even expected him to. He is to blame for that, and the wages of his sin will be death. But I can’t help but look back on the things he did and just… smile. I smile, Lucifer. I smile quite often when I consider how absolutely wonderful he was at making a fool out of you.”

“But he failed,” said Lucifer. “He still failed.”

God grinned. “Yes, he failed. But you know what? Despite it all, I just can’t help but like him. I look upon my Samson action figures… and I just don’t feel like tossing them away. As a matter of fact, Lucifer, I think I wanna see a little bit more before this story ends.”

God leaned in and got uncomfortably close to the angel. He told Lucifer, “I’m bringing Samson in. And when I do, I’m gonna make sure you feel it.” Lucifer was genuinely terrified.

To be continued.

Thank you for reading my blog! Did you enjoy it? Either way, you can comment below, or you can email me at tkwadeauthor@gmail.com. You can also visit my website at www.tkwade.com. Check out my books! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. It should've been obvious that Samson's grim fate was punishment for failing as a person. Delilah was an insignificant pawn. Booby girls really are a dime a dozen. Samson was condemned for falling short. God both redeemed and avenged Samson, but not because Samson deserved it. God loved Samson. That love never wavers. This is what Lucifer could not understand. A glimpse of that love terrified the haughty cherub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The wages of sin is death" needs to be taken seriously at all times. There is to be no exception. But yes, he loved Samson. That won't change. This isn't the only time this has happened in history.

      Delete
  2. His failings are the same as many others. They do great things, but cannot get past what they want. But even when it is over, there is still good that can come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's bitter sweet but they brought it on themselves.

      Delete
  3. Even though God knew Samson would fall the event was still depressing. Lucifer was waiting for the moment like a circling vulture but did not realize that Samson was only entertaining to God, nothing was demonstrated. Lucifer can not see what is to come, God will make it hurt indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucifer always comes across as a bit silly when attempting to contest God... a being who is beyond him in every aspect.

      Delete